Ron Rowland: A grand total of 1,465 ETPs were listed for trading as of May 31. The count consists of 1,249 ETFs and 216 ETNs. Just eight new products came to market in May and none closed. So far in 2012, introductions totaled 129 (113 ETFs and 16 ETNs) and closures numbered 17 ETFs and no ETNs. The actively managed fund count increased to 47.
With market action mostly negative, assets under management (“AUM”) dropped 5.7% to $1.14 trillion. A total of 22 products had assets of $10 billion or more, and 157 are over the $1 billion mark.
Trading activity jumped significantly last month. Total dollar volume (value traded) came in at $1.49 trillion, up more than 22% from April. SPDR S&P 500 (NYSEARCA:SPY) alone accounted for 35.9% of all ETP trading activity.
The number of ETPs average daily trading over $1 billion grew from seven to eleven. These products together accounted for 64.1% of all ETP activity. Products with daily dollar volume averaging more than $100 million increased from 63 to 67, representing 88.9% of trading activity. Products with more than $10 million of trading per day also edged up from 230 to 239, grabbing 97.9% of trading.
|April 2012 Month End||ETFs||ETNs||Total|
|Currently Listed U.S.||1,249||216||1,465|
|Listed as of 12/31/2011||1,166||203||1,369|
|New Introductions for Month||6||2||8|
|Delistings/Closures for Month||0||0||0|
|Net Change for Month||+6||+2||+8|
|New Introductions 6 Months||113||16||129|
|New Introductions YTD||100||13||113|
|Net Change YTD||+83||+13||+96|
|Assets Under Mgmt ($ billion)||$1,120||$15.7||$1,136|
|% Change in Assets for Month||-5.6%||-9.4%||-5.7%|
|Qty AUM > $10 Billion||22||0||22|
|Qty AUM > $1 Billion||154||3||157|
|Qty AUM > $100 Million||518||24||542|
|Monthly $ Volume ($ billion)||$1,459||$34.9||$1,494|
|% Change in Monthly $ Volume||+21.9%||+38.5%||+22.3%|
|Avg Daily $ Volume > $1 Billion||10||1||11|
|Avg Daily $ Volume > $100 Million||64||3||67|
|Avg Daily $ Volume > $10 Million||228||11||239|
Data sources: Daily prices and volume of individual ETPs from Norgate Premium Data. Fund counts and all other information compiled by Invest With An Edge.
New products launched in May (sorted by launch date):
- PIMCO Global Advantage Inflation-Linked Bond Strategy Fund (ILB)
- Arrow Dow Jones Global Yield ETF (GYLD)
- Market Vectors Emerging Markets High Yield Bond ETF (HYEM)
- ETRACS Monthly Pay 2xLeveraged Dow Jones Select Dividend Index ETN (DVYL)
- ETRACS Monthly Pay 2xLeveraged S&P Dividend ETN (SDYL)
- ProShares USD Covered Bond (COBO)
- AdvisorShares Global Echo ETF (GIVE)
- AlphaClone Alternative Alpha Exchange-Traded Fund (ALFA)
Product closures/delistings in May:
Product changes in May:
- ProShares forward split six ETFs and reverse split eleven ETFs effective May 11, 2012.
Announced Product Changes for Coming Months:
- Effective June 2, the management team of AdvisorShares Dent Tactical ETF (DENT) will resign and be replaced by Laif Meidell of the AdvisorShares Meidell Tactical Advantage ETF (MATH). Pending shareholder approval, DENT will be “reorganized” into MATH on September 7, 2012. Both DENT and MATH are on ETF Deathwatch.
- Effective June 14, Direxion will reduce the maximum exposure from 150% to 100% for its Volatility Response Shares series of ETFs (VSPY, VSPR, and VLAT).
Previous monthly ETF statistics reports are available here.
Written By Ron Rowland From Invest With An Edge No positions in any of the securities mentioned.
Ron Rowland is the founder of Invest With An Edge and serves as the Executive Editor. He is also editor of AllStarInvestor.com and Chief Investment Officer of Capital Cities Asset Management (www.ccam.com). Quoted widely in the financial media, Ron is the industry go-to guy for sector rotation insight and investment strategies using ETFs and mutual funds.